VAL's Heritage Lottery Project
50 years of social action in Lewisham
Refuge-Resistance-Response will tell the story of the compassion, determination, passion - sometimes anger - of Lewisham's vibrant people-led movements in the last five decades. It is entwined with VAL's own story of leading and equipping Lewisham's dynamic community sector since it was set up in 1967 - a time of intense political and social change.
By exploring, highlighting and sharing this part of Lewisham's heritage, the project will aim to enhance the awareness of some of the contributions individuals and their communities have made to the borough's heritage through their relationships with organisations, buidlings and their responses to challenge, injustice or need.
What have we got planned?
This ambitious and exciting project will include:
- recruiting and training volunteer archive researchers to develop and curate the archive
- a launch event with speakers from key organisations that tell the story of the project's key themes
- recruiting and training community volunteers to record 12 oral histories with local activists, unsung heroes and beneficiaries, and collecting images related to their stories
- hosting archive sessions at Local History and Archives Centre, Goldsmiths and the London Metropolitan Archive
- a focus on VAL's history and other key organisations
- a pop-up exhibition to tour around local libraries and council offices, as well as at wider local and national celebration events
- a project booklet to be distributed across Lewisham
- online materials to be made available on VAL's website, and oral histories stored in the Lewisham Local Studies Library.
We are also planning a celebration event to mark our formal constitution as a charity in early 2018.
How can you get involved?
- Come along to one of our visits to the archives. Check our homepage for dates
- Learn about oral history, how to interview and carry out digital recordings.
- Suggest Lewisham's 'unsung heroes and heroines' who have been key to refuge, resistance and response in the borough over the last five decades.
- Be one of our oral history interviewees.
- Add photographs and memorabilia to our collection.
- Help with editing the project interviews, a booklet and website content.
- Help with putting an exhibition together.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Phone: 020 3778 0663 Facebook: @valewisham
Refuge-Resistance-Response is funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund