Voluntary Action Lewisham is seeking a Chair for its board
02 Jul 2018
VAL is seeking a Chair for our board who can guide us through an exciting and challenging time!
What will you be doing?
As Chair, you will work with the other members of the Executive Committee of VAL to ensure that the organisation achieves its charitable objectives, whilst abiding by its values and keeping within the law. Please note that this role can either be interim, lasting 12 months, or can be longer term.
The key areas of focus for the Chair of Voluntary Action Lewisham will be:
- Providing strategic leadership
- Showcasing excellence and building partnerships
- Acting as an ambassador for the organisation and civil society in Lewisham
- Ensuring VAL fulfils its legal and financial obligations
- Shaping VAL’s work to be a good employer
- Ensuring good governance at VAL
In common with all Trustees, the Chair will also be responsible for:
- Providing leadership and direction
- Keeping within the law
- Managing resources
- Managing people
- Being accountable for VAL
Please see candidate pack attached for further details
What are we looking for?
- Commitment to civil society in Lewisham
- Understanding of the Nolan principles of public life
- Understanding of the needs of local voluntary and community sector groups, and of volunteers
- Experience of working in the civil society sector and understanding of how civil society support organisations can increase the impact of work locally
- Understanding of public policy and the partnership role of civil society
- Experience of staff and financial management, ideally HR expertise
- Experience of managing change
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to chair meetings
- Ability to plan strategically
- Ability to represent the organisation to external organisations and networks
- Ability to commit the time needed to undertake the role effectively
In common with all Trustees, the Chair will need to have:
- A commitment to civil society in Lewisham
- An understanding of the duties of a Trustee and Company Director
- A commitment to equal opportunities and valuing diversity
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort in their duties as a Trustee
- Strategic vision
- Good independent judgement
- An ability to think creatively
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team
We seek to achieve an Executive Committee composed of people with a balance of skills, experience and competence needed to govern Voluntary Action Lewisham, and who are representative of the local community. In being committed to equal opportunities and valuing diversity, all Trustees must ensure that good equal opportunities practice is integrated into all aspects of the organisation and its work.
What difference will you make?
We have recently restructured our staff team and moved to the Mulberry Centre in New Cross. Moving centres has enabled us to provide improved support to voluntary organisations in Lewisham, for example we now provide space which voluntary organisations can use for hot desking, training and activities.
It is a critical year for us. We are seeking somebody who can guide us through an exciting and challenging time as an organisation, which might include more formal cooperation with another or other similar charities.
What's in it for the volunteer?
It is a great time to join the organisation, our new staff members have now been in post for 6-months and we’re excited about the future. We are having a clear impact and meeting our targets, especially with our newly renewed focus area of volunteering.
Before you apply
Applications must be made via Reach Volunteering in the first instance. Application is by CV and covering letter. Your covering letter should state why you are interested in joining the organisation, how your skills would add value to the role and any other relevant information. The organisation is happy to have a preliminary chat with interested candidates so please get in touch if you would like this to be arranged.
Click here for candidate pack.