Volunteers' Week 2017 to hit Lewisham shops
Volunteers’ Week 2017 (1-7 June 2017) is fast approaching and Lewisham Local, a collaborative pilot initiative to encourage local giving of time, talents and treasures, is planning a new approach to attracting potential volunteers.
This year Lewisham Local partners will be marking this annual celebration of the fantastic contribution of volunteers across the UK by going retail in Lewisham Shopping Centre between 1 and 4 June.
Festival of giving: you make the difference is designed to inspire and engage local shoppers through a bit of ‘disruptive advertising’. Lewisham Local Development Lead Sam Hawksley says the aim is to get local shoppers from all walks of life to engage with volunteering in an interactive, fun way. ‘We would like to reach out to new audiences, particularly the ones who might say, “I just don’t have the time” or “volunteering isn’t for me”.
‘With so many kinds of volunteering, we want to use this opportunity to encourage people to get involved locally and highlight the variety of ways they can give their time and skills.’
He’ll be joined by Lewisham Local partners Volunteer Centre Lewisham and Voluntary Action Lewisham, and is keen to involve local charities in need of volunteers to get involved on the day to promote their volunteering opportunities.
Each day will be themed around issues, such as social inclusion, young people, older people and food poverty and waste. The idea is to come up with ideas to help shoppers think about the issues and volunteering in an interactive, fun way. The hope is to get local shops involved in volunteering or pledging support.
What are you doing to attract volunteers during Volunteers' Week 2017?
Here are perhaps some new (and not so new) approaches you could try …
- Micro volunteering – Come up with small, quick actions people can do to help your cause e.g. Looking out for elderly neighbours, pop in for a cup of tea, getting involved in social media
- Demonstrations / installations - Capture people's attention and get them to think about and engage with your cause e.g. large pile of all the food a household throws away each year
- Put on an event – Have a party, tell people about the great work you do and how they can get involved!
- Crowdfunding – Use volunteers to run crowdfunding campaigns using the platforms Crowdfunder and Spacehive to gain and apply for extra funds
- Fundraising / Sponsorship – Encourage volunteers to raise money for you through campaigns or events! Good platforms include: BT MyDonate | Virgin Money Giving | JustGiving
Saying thank you
It’s also important to recognise our current volunteers and make the most of this opportunity to thank them. If you haven’t already why not treat your volunteers to a Lewisham Local Card - a completely free scheme to recognise your volunteers’ invaluable contributions. Cardholders receive discounts in over 160 local shops.
For more information on the event contact
- Sam Hawksley: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fay Millen: email@example.com
- Joanne Roberts: firstname.lastname@example.org
Download a digital resource pack for Volunteers Week 2017 here